TOURISM IN SAN VICENTE DE LA SONSIERRA
As we have mentioned in previous articles, La Rioja is full of small charming villages that are definitely worth visiting. We want you to take advantage of the fact that you are staying in Haro to visit them and enjoy a nice day.
Today we are going to talk about San Vicente de la Sonsierra, a small town about 10 kilometers from Haro, located at the foot of the Sierra del Toloño.
The town stands out for its historical heritage. It is worth mentioning its walled enclosure, whose route begins in the Plaza Mayor. It is important to emphasize that the itinerary is guided through a QR code that can be downloaded, which allows to have very complete information at all times.
On the other hand, the archaeological site of Santa María de la Piscina, which consists of different Romanesque constructions such as the Hermitage of Santa María, the necropolis and a small settlement of semi-cave dwellings as well as watchtowers.
Also noteworthy is the Church of Santa María la Mayor of the sixteenth century, of great importance for its baptismal font and the great altarpiece.
And of course, we can not overlook the importance of wine in its origins, with more than a hundred wineries and cave dams. In addition, the large extensions of vineyards can be seen from different points of San Vicente de la Sonsierra.
The area stands out for the large number of small family wineries, which can be visited by prior reservation, and where we will learn about the most traditional systems and the evolution of winemaking over time.
Keep in mind the following dates.
– January 22 is when the festivities of San Vicente Mártir are celebrated.
– May 15 is the feast of San Isidro.
– The festivities of San Juan on June 23rd.
– The nights of San Lorenzo at the beginning of August, to enjoy the open day of the small wineries.
– The day of the Quintos, organized by the youngest of the town.
– At the end of August there is the Marcha Senderista, an ideal way to get to know the heritage of San Vicente.
– The festivities of San Martin, which are held the last weekend of August, with games for the little ones, music and a procession.
– And we highlight the festivities of the Virgen de los Remedios from 7 to 12 September, where the people take to the streets and enjoy the lively brass bands and the running of the bulls, with musical performances, activities for children and more. The festivities end with the pilgrimage to the castle and a dip in the fountain in the Plaza Mayor.
All you have to do is choose the date on the calendar and escape to this beautiful area of the Rioja Alavesa and the Rioja Sonsierra. Remember that from Haro you can go on a series of excursions that will not leave you indifferent.